Please give a copy of all forms to the Linguistics Graduate Coordinator Assistant to add to your student file and then route to the Graduate School. Remember to be advised every semester using the Linguistics Graduate Student Advisement Form until you complete your Final Program of Study form.
- Complete the Advisory Committee form at the same time or soon thereafter. The Graduate Coordinator Assistant will add it to your file.
By the fifth semester
- Complete your coursework and prepare for your comprehensive examination or qualifying paper defense.
- Complete the Program of Study form. It is okay to include courses you have not yet taken, but in the end, you must take every course listed or else file a Recommended Change in Program of Study form.
By the sixth semester
- Schedule the written and oral components of your comprehensive exam or qualifying papers with your committee. For qualifying papers, please utilize the Qualifying Paper Assessment Form each time. After you perform the oral section of your qualifying paper or complete your exam, the finished form must be turned in to the Graduate Coordinator Assistant.
- Request an announcement of the oral portion through the Graduate Coordinator Assistant at least two weeks prior to the date of the oral exam. For qualifying papers, the second paper presentation counts as the oral comprehensive examination. The Graduate School will return the Oral Comprehensive Exam form whereby your committee will grade your performance.
- Complete the Application for Admission to Candidacy form and return it with the Oral Comprehensive Exam form to the Graduate Coordinator Assistant and they will submit the forms on your behalf to the Graduate School.
By the seventh semester
- Complete the Dissertation prospectus and approval of research goals. Make sure to adhere to the prospectus guidelines.
- Submit materials for IRB approval if research involves human subjects.
If you have not been following the guidelines above, the Graduate School’s Deadline Schedule now takes precedence.
- Complete the Application for Graduation in Athena by the second week of the semester. All forms except the dissertation defense form must be turned in by this time. Ensure that the Graduate School has an up-to-date record of your advisory committee.
- Work towards completing each part of the Dissertation and Final Examination Approval form where your committee approves your dissertation and grades your performance at the oral defense. Parts of this form should be completed at different stages of your dissertation. Your defense cannot be announced until Part II is complete, where your committee approves the document itself for presentation.
- Submit a completed copy of your dissertation for a format check at least one month prior to graduation. Utilize the Graduate School's Format Check Guide.
- Schedule your defense with your committee to be held at least one week prior to the last day of classes and request an announcement of the defense through the Graduate Coordinator Assistant at least two weeks prior to the date of the defense. You should agree on a date for submitting a complete draft of your dissertation and a tentative date for your defense no later than October 1 for Fall semester graduates and March 11 for Spring and Summer semester graduates.
- Completed the Dissertation and Final Examination Approval form and submit it to the Graduate School within two weeks of the defense or by the last day of classes (whichever is earlier).